Cyber Careers Show
Start your future in cyber security
17 January 2018 | IET London: Savoy Place
About the Cyber Careers Show
More than 1,000 people attended the first-of-its-kind Cyber Careers Show run by the IET in partnership with Cyber Security Challenge UK (CSCUK), which took place at IET London: Savoy Place on 17 January 2018.
The day-long event was aimed at students over the age of 16, professionals and anyone else currently considering a career in cyber security.
There were presentations from guest speakers throughout the day on a wide variety of topics. Sessions included practical guidelines on how to apply for a job in cyber security and information about what professionals in the sector do on a day-to-day basis.
Visitors were also given the opportunity to meet face-to-face with a number of exhibitors, including BT, BAE Systems, IBM, Dark Trace, NCC Group, BAE, ROKE, PwC, QinetiQ, Contextis, the NCA and the UK Government.
The evening element featured a panel session on switching careers into cyber security. The panel was chaired by Nick Coleman, IET Fellow/volunteer and Chair of the IET’s IT Panel, and he was joined by Jane Frankland, Managing Director at Cyber Security Capital; Lucy Chaplin, Manager at Wavestone; David Savage, Big Data Architect at QinetiQ; Alison Dyer, Director at CSK and career changer, David Baker.
One of the highlights of the Cyber Careers Show was speakers’ corner, an area dedicated to informal bite-size briefings from industry experts. If you weren’t able to make the event or you’d like to refresh your memory of a session’s content, view the presentations:
- ‘How To Land Your Dream Job in Cyber Security’ - Colin Gillingham, Associate Director, NCC Group
- ‘Thinking Securely in 2018’ - Dave Stanley, Managing Director, Aditinet UK
- ‘My Cyber Security Career’ - Ese Oduyoye, Security Architecture & Design, BT
- ‘My Cyber Security Career’ - Cyber Assessment Lab Specialist, BT
- ‘What do Cyber Careers look like and where do I start?’ - Oscar O’Connor, Chief Competition Assessor, Cyber Security Challenge UK
- A total of 1,024 visitors attended throughout the day
- 78% were under the age of 40
- 15% were IET members
- 20% were female
- 42% were in education
- 43% were in employment
Head over to our Cyber Careers Show Flickr page for an extensive gallery of photos from the event.