Technical Report Writing (Cancelled)
Improve your technical report writing skills and learn how to write effectively for your colleagues, customers and clients
Our two day Technical Report Writing course, which is aligned with UK-SPEC competence D, analyses report preparation from the earliest stages of identifying the reader and the objectives to the effective presentation of the complete document. It is a highly practical course, giving delegates the opportunity to analyse technical writing in terms of style and grammar and to assess their own and their company’s policy for the revision and checking of documents before they are issued.
This course is suitable for anyone who spends a considerable amount of their working time reading or writing reports, including senior staff and those wanting to refresh their writing skills.
With each course limited to just 12 people, you’ll be able to get your questions answered. Plus the tutor can better tailor training to group needs and provide you with one-to-one feedback on your writing.
A mix of teaching, group exercises and workshops means you can put your learning into practice.
Continuing Professional Development
This event can contribute towards your Continuing Professional Development (CPD) hours as part of the IET's CPD monitoring scheme.
15 Sep 2020 - 16 Sep 2020
9:15am - 5:00pm
- Communication via reports: identifying the readers of a report and their objectives and defining the writer’s/report’s objectives.
- Three aspects of reports: effective use of structure, content and words.
- Style and usage in reports: analysing the content of technical report extracts and suggesting improvements.
- Report preparation: stages of effectively preparing a report.
- Report structure, format and presentation: how to structure the component sections of a report.
- Writing types and their characteristics.
- Balance and emphasis: prioritising content, organising into sections and sub-sections and devising headings.
- Summary writing: writing summaries for initial impact.
- One-to-one tutorial: ahead of the course, delegates are invited to submit a short report or technical document they have written (although this is not compulsory). The tutor will review these documents and discuss with delegates individually.
- Checking your report: effective methods for editing and checking documents.