Mastering Requirements using MBSE
Discover how modelling can help you with requirements engineering and management
This course provides an introduction to the world of requirements and, in particular, shows how modeling can help with the capture, analysis, validation, and specification of requirements. The course comprises a mixture of teaching and hands-on exercises. The taught content covers the background, theory and best practice of requirements engineering and management, along with more pragmatic issues, such as implementing a requirements strategy in a real organisation.
On this course you will learn to:
- use the Model-Based Systems Engineering (MBSE) approach for requirements engineering and management
- consider requirements in context, so that you draw out more detail and address them properly
- understand the importance of requirements engineering and its role in system and project life cycles
- master essential requirements terminology and concepts
- implement a requirements strategy for your organisation.
Continuing Professional Development
This event can contribute towards your Continuing Professional Development (CPD) hours as part of the IET's CPD monitoring scheme.
13 Nov 2019 - 14 Nov 2019
9:00am - 5:00pm
Introduction to requirements engineering
In this module, we cover:
- the importance of requirements
- the need for requirements engineering
- requirements engineering vs requirements management
- the role of requirements in systems and project life cycles
- the difference between life cycle stages and processes
We discuss the need for a robust and rigorous approach to requirements and introduce modelling as the best solution to meet this need.
Essential requirements terminology and concepts
In this module, we cover:
- requirement descriptions
- requirement rules
- requirement sources
- stakeholder identification
- context identification
- validation of requirements
- building a domain-specific language for requirements, using an ontology.
The Requirements Workshop
Delegates are introduced to modelling techniques for requirements engineering, through five facilitated group exercises:
- Describing requirements
- Validation – semi-formal scenarios
- Validation – formal scenarios
After each exercise, groups will feedback to the tutors and the other teams to confirm their understanding of concepts and techniques.
Implementing a Requirements Strategy
In the final module, we explain how you can introduce and implement a requirements strategy for your organisation.
We discuss the people, process and tools you will need to successfully put the strategy into effect.