Whether you are new to mentoring or an experienced mentor hoping to refresh your skills and learn some new tips, this course will develop your ability and confidence to effectively mentor others
With increased pressure in our professional lives, the use of mentoring has become widespread and mentors are now regarded as one of the most important sources of support and advice. This one day course aims to explore what is meant by the term mentoring and develop the key skills required to become an effective mentor. By using case studies, based on real-life experiences, this will provide you tools to identify mentees needs in preparation for professional registration with the IET.
Whether you are new to mentoring or an experienced mentor hoping to refresh your skills and learn some new tips, this Professional Development course will develop your ability and confidence to effectively mentor others.
Topics covered include:
- What is mentoring
- Differences between mentoring and coaching
- Key skills of a mentor
- The stages of a mentoring process
- Communication skills
- Professional registration categories
- Competencies outlined in the UK-SPEC
- A welcome to the IET process
- Analyse your current mentoring skills by using the competencies of a mentor questionnaire
- Accurately identify the three stages of the mentoring process by the end of the session
- Assess the developing competency statements to level the evidence in preparation for professional registration
- Analyse the written evidence in the case studies to assess if the candidate is ready to apply for professional registration.
Continuing Professional Development
This event can contribute towards your Continuing Professional Development (CPD) hours as part of the IET's CPD monitoring scheme.
14 Jan 2020
9:00am - 5:00pm